Saturday 15 February 2014

Birch Blog Finished


Phew - just about got it finished today. Slaving over a hot needle last night while the wind howled and the rain lashed and the lights flickered. Smudge was sure it was our fault and he kept shouting at us to get it fixed.

I have hung the piece in the porch and, while I am quite pleased with it, I feel it is a little busy but, when I removed some leaves it looked too bare. So there will probably be some tinkering yet.

I may take out some of the leaves and add little trails of flowers - I happen to have just the thing. We will see.

Details of the piece are shown below, from top to bottom. I do feel that blogging every day made me work on a project when I might otherwise not have done. On reflection, it would have probably been better to do it when I had a week clear of other matters an was not trying to put the finishing touches to March WoW and various urgent bits of business. Let me know what you think.

From the top.






12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for letting us walk the walk with you Maggie - and what a fascinating outcome. It shows that even the most naturalistic take on art is so complex and requires decision after decision, just as much as it requires the physical creation of the work. And as for the mention of March WOW - 'cited!!!!!!

Vicki W said...

I love it. I love everything about it.

Heather said...

No easy task to assemble such disparate components and make them sit well together - it looks great. I love the metal leaves and cords. You could spend weeks re-arranging leaves, flowers and trailing bits!!

Emma said...

Lovely, worth all that effort, wrapping, painting, cutting, embossing, stitching!The ensemble of gentle colors & tones & shapes is wonderful ;)

Fibrenell said...

Love it! What a great blend of the colours and materials.

Vicki Miller said...

Maggie, it is beautiful. you can never have too many leaves (I am a leafaholic)I love all the different ones you have got and the different textures are beautiful.

Iz said...

Love it! And all the leaves especially the mix of grey, brown and metal. Not sure about adding flowers?

dorothypandorasbox said...

I love it Maggie. A porch for a hanging place seems ideal too!
I would leave it as it is if it were mine.

Suztats said...

So interesting, and i wish I could see it up very close--photos never do full justice to a creation.

vintagerockchick said...

It looks great Maggie, you must be delighted! Now, what are you going to do next.......?

Jill said...

I have to agree, it looks pretty good, although I'm sure you'll have fun rearranging the leaves, often first instincts are what we come back too.

Stitchety Grub said...

It's gorgeous! :)
Bridget in West Aus