Wednesday 10 November 2010

What Would You Take?

Well the watchword here is KBO, as Churchill would have said. Many rooms have been completely demolished and look sad and bare, with just a pile of boxes in the centre.
.
We have been struggling a little as we've both had the most awful colds and Clive developed tendonitis in his foot (due we think to a new pair of M&S shoes). However, we are feeling better today and have allowed ourselves a little shopping trip. I have been buying goodies for the emergency moving box (cookies, snacks and sweeties) while Clive made more sensible purchases such as curtain hooks and screws. It will remain to be seen which is more useful!
.
My workshop is one of the rooms that has gone and the pile of boxes is enormous. I have decided to pack all my immediate needs into two of these cabinets on wheels which will go straight to my proposed workroom. They are not really as wonky as this - just an interesting camera angle.
.
.



.
I don't expect to be able to get at anything in boxes for ages so this will have to be my entire materials store. What to pack? What would be your priorities?
.
Apart from a nucleus of threads (all my machines are travelling in the car to make sure that the Bernina is accessible) plus silk carrier rods, chiffon and felt, most of the stuff is arty.
.



.
Here is a typical drawer. inkAid, gesso, molding paste, crayons, pencils etc. spray paints, sketch books and so on. Jane Wild said it would make an interesting design and stitch exercise to see what could be made from the contents. Perhaps that will be my first assignment.

.



.
Thanks for the comments.
.
Amo - I think somehow it is easier to move the whole house than just to relocate one room. It's good for de-cluttering.
.
Diane is referring to the dishwasher packing in the villa in Italy earlier this year. It was not big enough to take all the crockery and cutlery for each sitting but Clive did his best.
.
I'm a bit worried about my sanity, Robyn, if you're only just recovering from the trauma of three years ago! I don't see how you can resist the lure of a purpose-built studio. You can keep your diamonds and pearls - new studios count for much more.
.

Only eight sleeps to go.

7 comments:

Heather said...

I find it hard to pack a bag for a workshop! Glad you are both feeling better - keep your strength up for moving day. You seem to be well organised and I heartily approve of your 'essentials' shopping Maggie! After all, you can't settle down with a cuppa and some curtain hooks.

Gill H said...

Hi Maggie
I wonder how many of us are feeling stressed at the very thought of moving (memory for us is still too close, even though it was three years ago!). I hope it goes really well and that the kettle is in with the Berninas. Love your blog and you always makes me laugh. Thank you. Gill

jude said...

Maggie, just back from Egypt and St Catherine's monastery and the to die for museum with the most fabulous icons and manuscripts. Have a nice winter holiday when all this nasty moving business is over!

PS - we saw the site of the burning bush, complete with bush (not ablaze). However, there was a fire extinguisher underneath - presumably, just in case

Stitchety Grub said...

Good luck with the move Maggie :-) I hope the weather is kind on the day.

gilby said...

I would pack coloured pencils,note book, sketchbook,drawing pencils and a small tin of water colour paints.
Good luck in your new home.

bohemiannie! art said...

cookies - more cookies

Wabbit said...

What gilby and bohemiannie said plus an inspiration/eye-candy book or two and chocolate! Looking through a book of eye candy is like a mental vacation to me. I don't know what you'd pack. I always think of one of YOUR books for this purpose! ;-)) Good luck and good weather on the day!