Thursday 15 July 2010

Lots of Old Chat

Thanks for all the comments. I shall dedicate this blog to the answers!
.
A taker for one of the scan’n'sews, Hooray! They really do extend the use of the Janome sewing machines. Robin – I don’t want any money for it – just want it to go to a good home, so there will be just the carriage for you to pay. If you email me we can talk about it. maggie@workshopontheweb.com. Now there is just the Janome 9000 scanner to find a home for. Otherwise it’s the tip!!
.
Kerry and Jane – the Scan'n'sew only works with the specific Janome machine it was designed for. It is such a nifty gadget and so simple compared to the digitizing software. It is like the old hand held scanners we all used before we had flatbeds. You just draw the scanner over the design – simple designs work best – and then it saves onto a memory card that the sewing machine can read. They were so clever that they stopped making them. Boo.
.
Scooter: Brewer Sewing http://www.brewersewing.com carry the Paper and Beyond CD in the USA. Go to the books section and search for Maggie Grey. This was the CDROM that Jane Wild and I made after we did the Paper, Metal and Stitch book together. It was so lovely working together that we couldn’t stop so we overflowed onto the CD.
.
Sharne, Wabbit (Hi Wabbit) and Heather
I think you are right that UK art differs from the USA and I also think that both are influenced by each other – in a good way. All your paper arts have given us new ideas and new materials, which is all to the good. Do hope you get to do the C&G course Scooter. The work at Urchfont and Windsor this year was so good that I am going to run an article in Workshop on the Web about these courses and the distance learning versions of them. I’ll put it in the unrestricted area so everyone will be able to see it.
.
The new book now has a proper title. Mixed Media: Studio Techniques. We are hoping for a September publication date, so not long now. I have loved working with Isobel and we have had fun. The photo-shoot was on Tuesday and I took my granddaughter Lauren to be our hand model. She has just finished her GCSEs and did one in photography, so she was fascinated by Michael’s studio. He was great and told her exactly what he was doing and why. Here she is sitting at my Bernina for a stitching shot.
.

.
Then she was ‘promoted’ to be in charge of the flat-plan book – which shows where all the pics go
.

.
Michael is such a brilliant photographer and I think his art degree gives him a creative edge. He has a good eye for the best angle and all the gear that goes with it.
.

.
Marjorie – many thanks for the kind words – and the good idea about the scale planning. If we ever sell the house, I shall do that. I think we are to the house market what Barings were to banks! Every time we try to sell, the market collapses. We are determined to move and shall keep trying. Anyway, it may take a couple of years to get rid of all my rubbish.
.
That fresco sounds very interesting, Caroline (welcome, by the way). I am doing an article on making a fresco for the September issue of Workshop on the Web. http://www.workshopontheweb.com/ if you don’t know of it. There is a free taster to look at. The icon I am making now uses chocolate foil to make a metallic background and I have had to try so many brands to get the right gold colour. The research has been hell, but one must suffer for one's art.
.
Hi Diane – seems ages ago that we were in Puglia. So glad you’re finding the techniques useful. Which brings me to Gail – so sorry but I am not teaching in Puglia next year. I have plans for an Australian trip (not teaching – but maybe some talks) so am keeping my options open.
.
Lucy – so kind of you and I’m honoured. Do send me an email to the address at the beginning of this post and I’ll give you some info for your course. I am doing two talks at the Festival of Quilts in Birmingham in August. Details on www.twistedthread.com under the academy workshops heading.

1 comment:

Heather said...

The new book sounds very desirable Maggie - your grand-daughter must have loved taking part in it's production. Looking forward to the next WOW too but not wishing my time away as I'm enjoying the summer - the sun will come out again!